A quick reminder as we start the new year of the value of interactive games in the classroom, particularly now all teaching rooms have access to IWB facilities. There are lots of free games aimed at particular subjects available on the web, however remember we also have access to software in school, including the Content Generator software (Penalty Shootouts etc.) to make our own games. For more details please see last years post on Using Games in the Classrom.
HOT POTATOES QUIZ SOFTWARE – Now free
You can find out more about what Hot Potatoes quiz software can be used for including examples in the using games in the classroom post. But you should be aware that the software is now freeware and therefore can easily be downloaded and used at home.
You can download instructions from the website – but if you come and see me I have 3 spare printed help guides.
Hot Potatoes have also now made their Quandary software free. This software enables you to create web based action mazes which can be used for problem-solving, diagnosis and surveys/questionnaires etc. Students are faced with a series of options – the option they then choose will lead them on a particular path for which they are then given further options. To get the idea – try out this Henry II and Thomas Becket history action maze from Andrew Field.
Here is a list of just some of the many websites offering online sources of educational games:
- Business Studies
- Interactive Games http://www.teachingbusiness.co.uk/index-12.html
- GeoBytes Games (St Ivo School) http://cgz.e2bn.net/e2bn/leas/c99/schools/cgz/accounts/staff/rchambers/GeoBytes/GeoGames/geogames.htm
- GeogOnlineGames (includes both Geography and History Games) http://www.geogonline.org.uk/GeogGames.htm
- English Language Games http://www.lapasserelle.com/lm/exercices/games.html#contentgeneratormatching
- Revise Computing http://www.revisecomputing.co.uk/
- Revise ICT http://www.reviseict.co.uk/
- ICT History (History of ICT) http://www.icthistory.co.uk/?cat=12
- Online Maths Games http://www.crctlessons.com/math-online-games.html
- Maths Games http://freemaths.net/games
- Maths Games (Congleton High School) http://clc2.uniservity.com/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=56757
- Large number of Modern Languages Games (Thorpe St Andrews School) http://www.thorpelangsdept.info/interest.htm
- Includes Quizzes and Games (Notre Dame High School, Norwich) http://www.yjc.org.uk/
- Science Review Games http://sciencereviewgames.com/srg/
- Online Games (RS Revision) http://www.rsrevision.com/contents/games.htm
Remember there are also lots of templates for creating games using the Lesson Activity Toolkit in SMART notebook - I will be posting a reminder of some of these over the next few weeks.