This collaboration between ESRI and the USGS is the most detailed global ecological land units map in the world more details of which can found in this blog post. Very useful for looking at the application of GIS and enables further exploration through GIS with the availability of ready to use data layers which can be utilised in ArcGIS.
There are a number of ways to access the Global Ecological Land Units Map:
1. Explore the introductory story map which consists of two aspects:
- 1. Ecosystem Browser – zoom in / pan out on the map and click anywhere to identify the name of the ecosystem found there.
- 2. Ecosystem Tour – allows you to take a tour of areas with a high ecological landscape diversity
2. Explore the ecological tapestry of the world here in the online application
3. Use the content in ArcGIS to explore landscape analysis using ready prepared data layers from Esri.
4. Detailed publication (.pdf format) detailing the approach taken to mapping global ecological land units